Monday, April 8, 2013

Taking Pay it Forward One Step Further

I know there are organizations like the Make a Wish foundation that grant wishes to children with cancer and other harsh life conditions and project like Extreme Makeover that honor people/organizations who have done extraordinary things in the community or have special circumstances, but what about an organization that works to make the dreams of ordinary people come true?

I often think about what I would do with extra time or extra money, and when I fantasize about having that ability, all I can think about is the look on a person's face when something that they never expected to happen but that they'd dreamed about actually came true.

For one of my friends, I think it would be going to a concert of her favorite musician as a surprise for her birthday.

For another, it would be a van so that he could take his act on the road.

Everyone has small, attainable dreams that we don't think about because it is frivolous or life just moves too fast to make the plans.

I love seeing supportive funds pop up to help bands make their dreams or people entering a fundraiser 10k for a disease that needs more awareness.

I would like to see more people, more groups, more humanity out on the streets and looking for the next smile to make someone's day.

For some people, it's as easy as a cup of coffee or making a cake on her birthday. For others, it's getting to watch the big fight on the big screen. I think more of life needs to be about making dreams come true.

I think I'm going to be preoccupied with this one for awhile.

(If you know of any organizations that do what I'm taking about--I'd love to know!)

1 comment:

  1. VERY cool idea, LK!

    It may not be exactly what you had in mind; but, this is a great website called Kick Starter that lets people apply for funding to get creative projects off the ground: http://www.kickstarter.com/
    Said funding is provided by ordinary people who visit the site and donate to projects they want to support. That does limit you to fulfilling dreams in the sole form of specific projects. BUT, I think it's a step in the right direction towards what you're suggesting.

    Enjoy!
    - Erin

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment.