Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Coarse Correction

I have recently mistaken the idea of seeing the best in someone and hoping the best things for that person as putting it upon myself to try to help the person see the best in him/herself and try to help them work toward the best things.

In this process, I've drained myself trying to understand what it is about me that makes it so that s/he can't see how wonderful s/he is.

What am I thinking?

I feel like a failure for another person's lack of faith in him/herself and his/her lack of optimism about life.

It's ridiculous. I didn't even realize I was doing it until I responded to a negative bit of drama, trying to see the light in a problem. There's being supportive and there's going too far. I need to keep myself in check :)

3 comments:

  1. I always quest to be a stand for what a person can be but never trying to make them do anything. Responsibility for self and support for a self that you like from friends you choose is the cornerstone of good character and happiness... in my opinion. ~Adam H

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can't help someone who responds as a victim. They could be feeding off of your sensitivity and could actually be enjoying being negative. Keep the energy for yourself and find people who aren't so needy. Give yourself some credit. You did see the light before long and that hasn't always been the case as you would take it on as a personal attack.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your kindness and encouragement are probably making a greater difference than you realize.
    I think that people sometimes continue to seek sensitivity not because they still need it, but because they still WANT it.
    I'm sure you have made a difference.
    But, I think you are wise not to let others take advantage of your help and patience.
    Erin

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment.