Thursday, June 9, 2011

A Night at the Drive-In

I just had an amazingly delightful time at the Holiday Twin Drive-In movie theater. Strangely, everything about the stormy weather made the evening perfect.


Before the movies, the sky was mellow, allowing me and some of my colleagues to laugh and enjoy eating a few snacks while talking and joking about nuanced, trivial subjects. I don't get to see them out of meetings usually so it was nice to just hang out.


Right as the first movie was starting, it began to lightning closer to where we were and sprinkle a bit so one of my colleagues got in the car with me while the others went in the other vehicle. At first it was a little disappointing as we'd all hoped to watch together, but as the movie went on, I realized that my friend and I made a lot of similar jokes/remarks as the story unfolded. Where I usually feel awkward, I felt completely at ease.


I was also pleasantly surprised that as the weather got worse and worse, we both became giddy. It was fun to hear the rain fight against the metal of the car as Magneto moved metal onscreen. The hail also started during the end battle scene. It was as if the weather and the story coordinated to have their climax at the same time.

During the intermission, I got completely drenched going to the bathroom. I laughed the whole way there and back. I had forgotten how much fun it was to just be caught in the rain, hair going crazy, water dancing along my cheeks, soaking my clothes. At this point, I was looking forward to another commentary back and forth during Pirates 4, but unfortunately, my colleagues needed to get back home, so I was on my own in the car.

I was very uneasy at first, looking from car to car, worrying if I was the only person alone, and then I laughed at myself. It was a ridiculous thing to worry about (although I did lock my doors which I considered a sensible thing to do).

It was a little bit before the second movie began, but just as before, the rain was very light at first, but as battles raged with the great Captain Jack Sparrow (Who could have a bad night if it ended with Johnny Depp?), the rain grew harder. It really made the mood fun and engrossing because the rain and turbulent weather (especially during the mermaid fight scene) created an excellent environment that matched the movie.


I wouldn't call the movies I saw Oscar-worthy, but my experience certainly was. I need to remember to laugh at myself more and maybe accidentally find myself stuck in rain more often. I saw a long glimpse of the girl I am and want to be this evening, I wasn't so concerned with the details and let myself relax. I feel like the rest of this week is going to keep getting better and better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.