Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Sting like a butterfly...

Let's face it...I'm not a very tough person when it comes to standing up against random things. It's easier for me to ignore it or make up reasons for it.

I feel like people make a lot of assumptions about everything. As a general rule, it's easier to think the worst than to hope for the best, but I wonder if that attitude is damaging the ability for people to connect.

Technology has made it easier. You type a line or two and send it off, any razor-sharp opinion or criticism on the web in less than a second. You can make friends with a button, delete them, message them, and generally interact without interacting. It can be seen as a problem or an opportunity. I feel that what I've been seeing lately is much more a problem though.

I waffle between wanting to put myself out there exactly as I am and protecting myself. Having words taken out of context, situations and conversations read into, intentions questions--honestly, it's really hard for me to handle.

I don't think anyone I care about wakes up in the morning and thinks, hey I want to ruin someone's life today or what can I do to make your life more inconvenient and crazy? I like to think that people have the best intentions and things just go awry sometimes.

But what do you do when something you've said or done or though gets put into a barrel and turned into something it isn't? What do you do when your integrity is questioned by someone without enough information to be judging? Turn the other cheek? Explain yourself? Fight?

I'd rather not do any of that. I hope that before I make assumption about people I ask them instead of ever assuming. It's so easy to make mountains out of molehills and I think it really damages the ability to be genuine.

If I've ever done this to you, I am sorry--I know I must have. As hard as I try not to judge a person, his/her intentions, and the general context of situations, I know I've messed up sometimes. Hopefully I can come up with ways not to in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.