Wednesday, June 13, 2012

A Real Nail-Biter

I've been biting my nails as long as I can remember. It's a nervous or bored habit. I sit and anxiously pick away, bite away at my nails/cuticles. Although in recent years, I've not bitten them to bleeding (as often), I didn't kick the habit for more than a week other than the month before my wedding (and even then, I cheated a bit).

The last couple weeks, I've worked on decluttering my environment, dealing with negative emotions when they come up, saying no when I feel stretched so that I don't over-commit myself, and being really honest with myself, especially as to why I feel sad or nervous or disconnected.

I've taken the time to polish and tend to my nail care properly. For the first time ever, I've been painting my nails and it make me feel beautiful. I don't want to destroy it--I want to keep going. (Trust me, they aren't the prettiest manicures--it's not a skill I've spent a great deal of time developing.)

The point is, I feel like it's a symbol for the value I'm discovering in myself. I will still have bad days, but when it comes to my overall emotional health, taking care of my body and environment, and moving toward a better version of me, I can do this.

I think it's a long time since I've believed that I'm the person with the power in my life. Hopefully I make the right decisions for myself with that power.

1 comment:

  1. Well you know how I feel about nail biting. I really do think you can go without it, no matter how stressed you are. Maybe squeeze one of those stress balls or something instead. You have nice hands that look even prettier when your nails are polished up. Keep those hands pretty!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment.