Monday, January 7, 2013

Learning to Relish a Moment

I've haven't been writing much lately. Not for the absence of ideas, but more because of the way I've been spending my time.

I had a tendency to live in my head, thinking all of the time, and sometimes allowing life to slip by me.

I noticed that although I was a part of critical, amazing moments, I examined them, sorted them, stewed over them instead of relishing in their beauty.

I've tried to worry less about whether I'm doing everything right and more about whether I'm entirely present when I'm with my loved ones.

I've spent less time planning and deciding how things ought to be done and how many pictures ought to be taken. (This one is hard...I always want pictures of everything, but I've been trying to remind myself that if I'm not experiencing the moments, the pictures aren't genuine anyway.)

I think it's very easy with access to social media and email constantly to lose track of why we started using those media in the first place--to connect.

I have a much easier time putting my phone or camera down than I did six months ago, but I still have a ways to go. I want the people and experiences in my life to have my full attention, especially my loved ones--I don't want a picture to be the only thing I remember from a moment.

In light of this, I've also found that I'm not happy when I'm not creative. (Really this isn't an epiphany, it's an inconvenient fact that I remember now and again.)

I'm trying to come to some sort of happy medium between living and experiencing while also expressing myself, so hopefully I'll start blogging a bit more.


2 comments:

  1. I can completely relate!
    Live in my head, take too many photos, not happy when I'm not creative - all sounds a lot like me!
    I define presence as "full attention, without distractions;" but often forget that thoughts constitute distractions.
    This was a good reminder. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can completely relate!
    Live in my head, take too many photos, not happy when I'm not creative - all sounds a lot like me!
    I define presence as "full attention, without distractions;" but often forget that thoughts constitute distractions.
    This was a good reminder. Thanks!
    - Erin

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment.