Monday, January 21, 2013

People Have Emotions? You MUST Be Joking!

Okay, so the title is a little sarcastic, but I think it's warranted.

I'm very weary of seeing my friends chastised and criticized for being honest and open when it comes to feelings.

I don't know what it is about the internet, but there seems to be a growing tendency where I see a friend or family member share struggle or ask for some opinions on a sensitive subject and it's met with animosity or sarcasm.

I don't understand what it is about electronic communication that somehow makes it okay to make fun of how someone feels or attack them for looking for pity.

I do believe that some people use the internet to create drama and I don't like to have friends that are constantly sad, down on themselves, and acting like life has no meaning without good reason, but if you can't respond and be helpful, sympathetic, or add something real to a conversation, why are you responding at all?

I guess I wish I understood this form of trolling. I also don't understand that after being attacked by a person for posting something sincere, why does the writer remain friends with the sarcastic jerk?

I can't criticize that last point too much because I used to just ignore crude or demeaning comments, but the truth is, if you can't relate and be real with someone, what's the point of having an avenue of contact with them even if it is just Facebook or Twitter?

1 comment:

  1. I've noticed the same, and it makes me sad. (Ah! An emotion!)
    I'm all for sarcasm; but, it certainly has it's limits - it's time and place.
    - Erin

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment.