Friday, January 21, 2011

Admitting I Have a Problem is the 1st Step

I am not at a healthy weight. I am not at a weight where I feel energetic at all. I am not happy with my weight.

The truth is, I sit for my job. I sit, I work on the computer, and usually I miss lunch because I don't have much of an appetite most of the time.

I am getting heavier.

I have some muscle tone and I'm pretty strong, but I know that if I continue to do things the way I am, my life is not going to be as long as it would have if i decided to make a change.


When it comes to my body, I know a lot of things that could help me solve this problem:
  •  The lazier I am, the less likely it is that I will ever be healthy or get ANYTHING done
  •  If I change my diet, it changes things a little bit, but without cardio exercise, it does barely anything
  •  Whatever change I make will have to be accessible when I'm at home, otherwise, I won't do it either due to needing to take care of the kids or lack of motivation to go wherever I need to go (I think this would change if I had more energy, but honestly, I know I'm going to have to force myself.)
  •  Nothing is ever as effective as when I have to make the decision for myself and pay for it myself. I have to take responsibility for this. 

I think I'm a lot like a smoker, I'm addicted to being unhealthy because it's easier to just ignore it and let things pass me by. Today, I decided that's not going to work for me anymore. Yesterday I realized how many things I could do to make my life better with little effort. I have had a negative outlook on my days and I started thinking about why.

I'm too lazy and uninterested in my own well being. That has to change, and it is changing now.

So far, I'm still working on a plan. I will have to figure out how to save a little bit of money, because I think that having something simple would be nice, but I'm tryin to figure out the first step.

A lot of machines have a lot of reviews that are positive and negative and they take up a lot of space which, let's face it, in a small condo with two kids and three cats, probably isn't the best decision. I did find that there were a lot of compact things though, cheaper that might get me started on the right track.

It's no secret that I love to watch sci fi and vampire shows and extremely poorly made movies.  When I thought about what would motivate me to do an hour of cardio everyday, I know that I would do it if I could watch something as long as that's what I was doing. (And if I could have a cup or glass of tea when I was finished.)

So I'm thinking what kind of compact exercise aides are out there? So far, with reviews and information/function for someone like me, these three are my favorite:

1. Stamina 55-1610 InMotion E1000 Elliptical Trainer at $90


2. Phoenix Denise Austin 99120 Mini Stepper Plus at $65

 

3. (Although this one would be a supplement to those above) Everlast for Her Twist Board at $8
 

I actually think using all three to switch things up would be good, but I think I'm also going to have to at least do something drastic for a month or two with my diet. 
I haven't been eating well and I know it. With my current food budget situation, I would be able to easily do something like the SlimFast diet and work toward making healthier choices (because I know how to and have been ignoring it) as I gain more and more energy and motivation. 

I know that a lot of my friends don't believe in drastic diets, but look at me. This has to change and I'm going to have to do something drastic to start in order to get to something balanced in the finish.


If anyone has advice or comments I won't be offended by the way. For me, this is admitting that I'm addicted to a bad lifestyle so consider anything you have to say a helpful intervention. 

2 comments:

  1. Hey Lk...you've said everything I have been thinking for a month or so now. I've been making some great changes to my diet, but I'm really bad about being motivated to work out. I recommend this website called sparkpeople.com it's really helped me. And if you ever want to go for a walk over lunch hour if we can figure it out, let me know :) LeeAnne

    ReplyDelete
  2. My parents, and some of my other relatives, have been doing Pilates. You can start basic, and work your way up. And all it costs is the 15 dollars or so to buy an instructional DVD, and maybe a mat. (Though, that would kind of rule out watching other thing, while exercising.) Just a thought/suggestion. My parents are both pleased with the amount of weight they have lost while doing it.
    Also, you burn as many calories walking as you do running, assuming you go the same distance. I can understand if you aren't up for running (I'm not a huge fan of running myself), but walks are always nice. And I bet that just walking a mile or so each day could make a difference, and you could even take the kids along (stroller pushing=extra exercise!:)

    Best wishes! With your determination, I'm sure you can succeed in this!

    Erin

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment.