Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Altered Perceptions - What is Normal?

I recently had a discussion with one of my very favorite people on the planet about my interests. She thought that my love of concerts, steampunk, goth, etc could be perceived as dark or strange and she was wondering how I dealt with that.

Generally, I don't.

I have discovered that for certain music and events, I like to dress up, go out, hang out with friends, laugh, dance, and have fun.

At times that kids aren't at home, being mom can mean not having a social life, and sitting at home wishing the kids were home is a long and boring-- without motivation. I started going to concerts initially to have a small part of my life just for myself. Now I really enjoy it.

I miss the kids when they're gone, but my love of music and events gives me something to do and be passionate about--it's actually gotten me back into my writing and also into painting and playing with music at home when I'm feeling creative. I'm first and foremost a mom, but that isn't all that I am.

Although someone might perceive my love of costumes and events as strange, I kind of think a lot of things people are interested can be perceived that way. I mean what is the difference between dressing up for a steampunk convention and wearing paint and logos and jerseys and going to a sports event?

I really fail to see the difference.

When men walk down the street with their chests and faces painted in the colors of their favorite team, I shrug it off--it doesn't seem strange to me. Where more people may accept that as normal, I don't understand how they can consider costuming for a Renaissance faire, concert or convention as any different--people all have unique interests.

I think we try to figure out how other people perceive us or may perceive us, but the true key is figuring out what matters. Do I like dressing up? Yes, I have a very childlike love of costuming and events. I love music and I love being out and about when my children aren't home to be with me. What do my costumes say about me? Hopefully that I'm having fun and enjoying my hobbies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.