Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Frills, Thrills, and Being a "Girl"

I admit it...I freaking love shoes, flowers, and pretty things. I generally promise that I'm purely geeky (let's face it, I just added a lego Tardis to my desk at work along with gnomes and a geek 8 ball), and the things that really make me smile are ridiculous and superfluous. This following rant is brought to you by a comment from a person who will remain unnamed:

Along these lines, I think about people that I know who have small businesses or passions that seem traditionally "female". A good friend of mine sells PartyLite, I sell Mary Kay, and another friend of mine knows more about cloth diapers than anyone I've never met. Are we silly/crazy...no, we're practical females with a hobby we enjoy that happens to be "girly".

When people have poked fun at my wish to coordinate colors and silly obsession with going to a salon or wearing a skirt to feel pretty, I'm happy with that side of myself. I think there's a lot of noise out there suggesting that all women who believe in equal rights somehow want to be thought of differently in the "traditional" female sense. For everyone that has issues with this, let me spell it out for you: People are not the same. Each person has their own likes or dislikes and just as you can't dictate what they like or do not like, you do not get to judge another person based on these things and arbitrarily attach gender to it.

I like some "girly" things...I don't think you need to be a girl to like those things and I don't like that certain activities are cause for ridicule or laughing. Some people like getting their nails done, some people like getting mud under their nails, and some people like both. I can be a frilly geek...I can be whatever I want. If you think I'm going to change based on a comment, I feel sorry for you. You must be insecure enough about something you enjoy that you feel the need to chide me...maybe focus on that.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry that someone said something hurtful/rude to you. It is amazing the things that come out of some peoples' mouths. I think it is awesome that you are a little bit of everything all rolled into one (cue alanis morissette song...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Mindy :) I normally don't have problems, but sometimes I just feel like people are ridiculous with the boxes they create for others. <3 I think it's better when you can appreciate each person for who they are.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment.