Friday, July 22, 2011

Dating Risk Assessment

There's desperate, there's crazy, there's even obsessed, but a new strategy I encountered today has me literally rolling in laughter.

I was speaking to someone that has tried to date me due to the fact he's seen me, at a bar, for karaoke. I generally don't date in the bar scene, and for sure, I am not interested in this particular gentleman, despite his constant perseverance.

Now, he knows this. He says he's fine with being friends, and I use that term loosely, because I never see him outside of a place I've decided to go, when I want to go there, and I don't tell him when I'm going to be there.

So today, he asked me about dating and if I was interested in seeing anyone, and in the course of the small talk, he said that he'd hate to see me get hurt. He said I shouldn't risk getting to know people that might not invest in a relationship long-term.

Yes, that's absolutely correct. I shall take no risk in trying to meet new people. See where this is going?

I would rather risk and get hurt a million times over, if it means I'll eventually find what I really want. To avoid risk is to promote settling for something that is not right, but rather something that happens to be there.

I want the best life that I can live--I want to move forward, I want to enjoy every moments. Settling leads to regrets, and it's better to live than always worry about the "what if" moments. I would rather do what is right, what is fun, and what interests me than settle for what is there. I'm reinventing myself and my life--it's not going to be second-rate or mediocre.

Even if on some minor level he was introducing a logical argument, any man that feels he needs to say something about why I shouldn't want to look elsewhere based on risk is only giving me stronger reasons as to why he's not even an option. 

1 comment:

  1. LOL! Was it Quadruple XL? Whoever it was, that was not a good way of asking you out at all. Sorry you have to deal with that shit, Laura. I know you're an awesome chick and you're going to find someone that treats you right sooner or later.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment.