Friday, May 11, 2012

Little Darlings

Last summer, my world was shifting, changing, and breaking apart--there were so many changes that the prospect of my children growing was a shock to the system and most of me did not want it to happen.

As I approach my son's third birthday and a summer of fun before my daughter's seventh birthday, I feel elated. I'm bursting with excitement. Although we fight, they push and quarrel, and some days feel like we're living in a mad house--everything about the way children grow and learn is amazing. 

My son and daughter are both creative, writing and talking and drawing and playing and asking questions. Sometimes, they ask more appropriate and insightful questions than I think to. It's because they're learning and are experiencing life in a way that lets them see smaller pictures inside the larger picture that I take for granted. 

When I'm rushing to finish a task and one of them asks "Why?" sometimes I don't have a good answer for that. Why do I rush? Why do I care about a significant detail? Why can't we play first?

Sometimes things need to be done because despite my best wishes, time is important, but other times, I'm really glad I have two small, intelligent people to remind me that sometimes it's okay to just take a break.

Also, children will always make you laugh if you'll let them--ignoring the questions or musings of a child is unfortunate because nine times out of ten, it actually is important. Too often we take processes and rules and guidelines for granted...as an adult, we have better filters, but I think following the rules when it doesn't make sense is still something worth questioning. If you don't ask questions and grow, you can't make improvements.

I hope I never forget that. More importantly, I hope that I foster that innovation, creativity, and curiosity in my children as they grow. It's the greatest gift they've reminded me that I have and I hope neither ever loses it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.