Sunday, November 7, 2010

The Frustrations of Social Assumption

So apparently words don't mean their meanings in social interactions. I'm not talking about sarcasm or dry humor, but the underlying ideas about what he/she "really means".

Here's a clue...some people, like myself, do not understand this magical language. Usually if I say something sincerely, I mean exactly what I'm saying.

Example 1...I made plans to hang out with a friend tonight.
Assumption...She doesn't want to hang out with me.
Fact...I had already made plans and I'm sticking to them. If you ask me second, you're likely not going to see me. If I accept a first invitation, I do not change for the second no matter how much I do/do not like or want to hang out with you.

Example 2...I am not feeling well and I think I'm going to stay in tonight.
Assumption...She's lying and found something better to do.
Fact...I am trying to stay in and go to bed. Granted, I usually spend more time on my computer than I should, but if I'm staying in, I don't feel good nor have I found something "better" to do.

See what I mean though? What is the point of telling people things directly if they're going to be taken differently? Is there a book of phrases that I should be avoiding?

2 comments:

  1. The mutabilty of words if often affected by the listener superimposing their selfish mindset onto the speaker. In essence, it doesn't matter what you say, but all about how they feel.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment.