Tuesday, November 2, 2010

You Really Want to Know What I Think?

All right, this post doesn't allow comments because I'm not writing this for discussion. A lot of people have asked me lately about my political views, and although I'm not telling you how I voted, this is generally what I want and where I stand:

-I support The Constitution, taking special interest in the Bill of Rights

-I want complete separation of church and state.

-I'm sick of the two-party system. I can't find two people that agree, let alone only two groups of people

-I want oil to be replaced, Texas needs help finding a new big industry, and I think cleaner and more productive energy research, operations, and production might be a good way to go

-I want more incentives for local companies that do not outsource

-I want a greater focus on education in this country. I see it as the foundation for everything else, and I can't believe how much schools are suffering when it should be one of our main focal points. We don't have a future if we're not educating the young to compete with the global education standards.

-I think the federal government needs to leave more decisions to states if it's not a law or measure concerning a basic human right (and yes, I do consider food, shelter, healthcare, etc to be basic human rights, basically things in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights).

-I think with how overcrowded jails are getting, we need to be focusing less on the death penalty/life sentencing except for completely violent/horrible inmates, and try to focus more on creating programs to support societal problems and the psychological impacts of the past on offenders. I think that prisoners should be benefiting society if they're getting room/board in jail.

-I think birth control and reproductive health education needs to be much more accessible and restrictions on abortions need to be a little more focused. I don't like reading about abortions as birth control, there are so many better options, the education needs to come before that's a choice someone is having to make. I also think that men who don't want children should be responsible to get fixed, it isn't only the woman's responsibility.

-I think the laws should be more supportive of families, people still lose jobs over having children which is ridiculous. The cost of childcare and trying to survive is crazy and I would love to see incentives for family-friendly companies that support their employees.

I guess, in general, you could say that I think this should be the land of opportunity and community. I don't like seeing what's happening. This country has come together to support one another in the past and I really hope that's in the future.