Wednesday, December 22, 2010

And a Holly Jolly Humbug to You

I love Christmas. I love the stories, parties, celebrations, decorations, lights, and music. The whole spirit makes me feel elated and full of Christmas magic. I have often wondered why my personal preference and love of this particular time of year is so offensive to some of the people I've met. It's almost as if there's a belief I love Christmas for the sole purpose of annoying other people.



To those people: grow up, it's not about you. If you don't celebrate anything this time of year, ignore it. I honestly find immersing myself in the traditions of others fascinating, but no one is telling you to be jolly or listen to Christmas music or believe in anything.

I know that there are pushy people that attempt to hit others over the head with beliefs and dogma, but for the most part, people who love Christmas are not like that.

I also don't appreciate all of the blanket statements I hear:
-Christians are out of touch and they don't understand science. That's why they believe in God.
-Faith is just another sign of ignorance.
-All Christians are hypocrites, they just want to tell everyone else what to do.
-People only celebrate Christmas because of the gifts they get.

Really?

Honestly, I rarely mention that I'm put off by the comments in big conversations. What's the point of becoming a target for the hatred for people who believe in God?

I don't consider myself an ignorant, out of touch, or selfish person. I also don't think that I am generally hypocritical (although mistakes are always made, no one is perfect), and just as I respect those of my friends that hold different world views, I would expect to be accepted instead of attacked. So far, it hasn't been the case, but I think eventually the culprits will grow up and learn to respect people with other views.


For me, Christmastime brightens are dark time of year. I am not fond of darkness and short days. To be given a spirit to do nice things for others and celebrate my faith in the connecting power of this world in spirit is an amazing gift. Am I goofy? Do I overdo it? Yes. I love it. I am enthusiastic about caroling and lights, stories and celebrations, and that's not going to change.

If nothing else, I hope you have a wonderful day, even if you "Bah, Humbug" in my general direction.

2 comments:

  1. How did a Feurstein not get hit with the Jew stick ? I am so confused as I think you are a member of my tribe

    ReplyDelete
  2. How sad people don't have tradition in their lives and try to make other people who find comfort in Christmas and other Christian celebrations feel badly. Your blog makes me smile and even makes me a little teary. How lucky I am to have a daughter with so much strength and integrity!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment.