Thursday, December 16, 2010

Turning a Corner?

I'm certain that people that met me a year ago wouldn't recognize me right now. So much has changed. I really think I'm learning the ropes of my own life instead of trying to figure out what other people want or need from me.

That's all I used to worry about. How can I help this person? What can I do to make everything better? This person makes me uncomfortable, but how can I change that to better serve them? Worst of all: I don't matter, it's better bad things happen to me than to someone else.

I was a rug, a diverse walking carpet for the lost, weary, and emotionally draining. I would give and give and give until my emotional state was so negative that I was no longer a pleasant person to be around.

I wondered why friends that were upbeat didn't want to spend time with me. I worried constantly about people that never gave me a second thought.

I admit, I struggle sometimes when a person seems to "need me" or makes me feel like I've wronged him/her. I don't want to hurt another person, yet I have to find the kind of balance where my well being is my priority.

I don't think I could have made a choice a year ago just to eliminate an emotionally draining person from my life. I used to think that the more you gave into a relationship, the better it would make you feel in the long run. I can't function like that. I only have so much time and so much to give, I can't deal with people sharing only the negatives and never rewarding me with the positives.

I want to be a driven, positive, successful person. I've heard over and over again, you are the combination of the five people you spend the most time with. I want those people to be driven, positive, compassionate, fun, and successful. I want to see goals and aspirations, action plans and passions--I need to be around the kinds of things I seek.


I believe in the power to change and seek out a future that will be entirely fulfilling and positive. Every day is not going to be easy, in fact I doubt any days will be. I just want to keep moving forward and looking for that balance. I need to learn to leave things behind that hold me back from being a productive, happy person.

Without creativity and positive influences in my life, I could fall back into being a carpet. I'm too empowered for that. I have the power to make a difference in my life and the lives of others, but I need to choose my friends and contacts carefully. I didn't before and I ended up in a lot of dark places emotionally. Life is full of opportunity, love, and passion. I really hope I never forget that.

1 comment:

  1. It's true, L.k. - From what I have seen, you do tend to put others first. I admire that about you. But, I am also glad you have realized that it is all right - necessary, even - to take care of yourself, and also to BE yourself.
    Some unfortunate situations in college thought me the important lesson that I don't always have to please, or even be around, the people who bring me down. I'm glad you have learned the same thing.
    And, in response to your earlier post, I'm glad that life is good. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment.