Thursday, December 2, 2010

Why Some People Give Up, But I Can't

In working in different places and learning about people, I'm starting to find that I'm more than a little stubborn (I should already know this because I've met the other women in my family, but until now it's seemed completely normal). I get stuck on ideas and goals and especially if someone tells me I can't or gets in my way, I will be damned if I don't find a way to do it. If you've never experienced a conversation or situation demonstrating this particular trait, consider yourself lucky.


The current example is roadblocks. I've found that two people in my position before me gave up on trying to accomplishing some of the things I already have. I refuse to just let something lie and ignore information and mess around doing nothing until I think of something better. I have a list of things to do, goals that were set, and it turns out I'll figure out how to do it with or without the help of people I need help from. I'm willing to take the extra time to do things as long as I reach the specified goal. What's funny is if the goal changed, my strategy likely would also.


Honestly, I think all people should be as motivated and pigheaded about accomplishing goals. If you want something, go for it, but I do wonder sometimes what the real emotional cost is of not walking the expected line. I see society as apathetic and tired, not willing to fight for anything. I don't really think that's good either. So my big question is, where is the balance and where can we get it? With so many unhappy people in the workplace, we must be doing something wrong as a society (or a lot of things wrong). Too bad there's no such thing as an easy fix.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.