Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Things that Annoy Me (and Why): Exhibit B

Is there some kind of unwritten etiquette and special grammar school for everyone else? I could swear that English was the dominant language in the United States, but reading through e-mails, text messages, twitter updates, and other manners of written communication, I've decided there must be a separate language in which I am not fluent.

What in the hell does this even say? : "All time us the don't ask to me get difered condominium ice hot"

I received this message from someone on a MeetUp group and I can't even figure out what it might say. I have not yet formulated a response. I'm not even sure the message was meant for me at this point considering I have never actually met the individual who sent it.


I wish incomprehensible language was rare. If this was an isolated incident, I probably would not have reacted, but between the texts that say "Wat up" to the crazy teenagers speaking in longer and longer acronyms, I am beginning to feel entirely lost. I can follow something simple like OMG WTF my BFF...at least I think I can, but when the letters move beyond groupings of three, I have discovered a language barrier.

I'm not only bothered that people can't speak, write, or think in anything close to proper English and grammar anymore, I'm terrified at what happens next in this society.

Granted, common errors drive me up the wall. For example, "your a beautiful women" being texted as a compliment. Really? Do people not really know the contraction you're anymore, or is it just too hard to find an apostrophe and an e? I can't even begin to understand why someone wouldn't know singular woman versus group of women, but I'm starting to think I'm the odd one out.

I am bothered immensely by the situation.
I want a magic educational wand...

4 comments:

  1. IKWYM

    Kidding, kidding. That is an acronym I just made up for I know what you mean. In all seriously, though, I do know what you mean.

    It bugs me too. And, although I'm sad to say it, I think very few people know the difference between "your" and "you're," or that the latter even exists.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And by all seriously, I meant all seriousness. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unfortunately LK, you're just like the people you're complaining about sometimes. Everyone makes mistakes. So does that mean you annoy yourself?

    "too hard to find and apostrophe"

    And?! That must be one of those "common errors" you speak of lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of course I make mistakes, and I'm not saying that people don't. Everyone does. I do actually get annoyed when I type something and it looks right but happens to be wrong.

    I think what bothers me is people don't know the difference or are too lazy to care. I wouldn't read through a document that was well worded and expressive and worry about a few mistakes. The general state of the education, especially in the areas of grammar and sentence structure, is what makes me angry.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment.