Monday, August 8, 2011

Day 19: What do I think of religion?

re·li·gion (according to Google's Dictionary)

noun /riˈlijən/ 
religions, plural
  1. The belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, esp. a personal God or gods
    • - ideas about the relationship between science and religion
  2. Details of belief as taught or discussed
    • - when the school first opened they taught only religion, Italian, and mathematics
  3. A particular system of faith and worship
    • - the world's great religions
  4. A pursuit or interest to which someone ascribes supreme importance
    • - consumerism is the new religion
I think, as with most things, I generally like or approve of practices that don't go too far, interrupting another person's life in the pursuit.

It's important people have value systems, beliefs, or general codes by which they like to live and I should have no part in telling a person what to think, believe, or otherwise practice unless it interferes directly with the quality of life for another person.

I do believe in a version of God. I also attend some services--I love choral music and singing in church. I generally have no qualms with people where I go to church, but I avoid biblical discussion. I think a lot of people that participate in organized religion are good people and others or not. It's more or less the same with any other group--you have a mix of people, and most people, deep down, I believe are good. I don't, however, believe that people who are not participating in a religion are any different from any other group. I just think it's a personal choice, as simple as enjoying arts and crafts or as strange as choosing to be vegetarian.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.